[TRNSYS-users] (no subject)

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Thu Nov 20 06:56:21 PST 2014

Michael,

Trying to implement detailed control strategies in TRNSYS using just equations rarely works.  And it doesn't surprise me that your controls look good on the plotter before you hook up the pump - because as soon as you hook up the pump you get into a dynamic situation where the pump affects your control variables and your controller immediately affects your pump.  Things won't converge and you'll get errors - or you'll generate a bad control signal and cause a NAN condition.

That being said, there are several ways to control variable speed pumps in an SDHW application:

1) Use the PID controller
2) Use the iterative feedback controller
3) Use the useful collected energy from the last time step to calculate the flow rate you'll need at this time step to meet your goal.
4) Use one of the TESS collectors that have the variable speed option coded into the model.

Regardless of which method you choose, make sure you have pipes with capacitance and use a smaller time step - typically in the 1-5 minute range.  We do a ton of SDHW modeling and never implement detailed controls using just equations.

Jeff Thornton