[TRNSYS-users] PCM storage tank modeling

Ben Heymer bheymer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 08:13:42 PDT 2014

Yosr,

I have done this study before (though probably a simpler version than
what you have in mind). I assumed fixed thermal properties for the PCM
(best case scenario), then compared it to the heat storage
capabilities of a "dumb" water tank of the same size with a
temperature controlled mixing valve.

I initially considered modifying an existing component to incorporate
temperature dependence, but I never made it past the simplified model
because the water tank always performed better (in terms of fluid
temperature control). I found that the relatively poor thermal
conductivity of the PCM severely limited any benefit of phase change
for my application. Though the water doesn't change phase, it is very
cheap, the specific heat capacity is high, and the heat exchange
effectiveness is 100%.

I hope your study is more interesting.

Ben Heymer, PE