[TRNSYS-users] TRNSYS Solar hot water hourly pump consumption

Djordje Spasic issworld2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 10 13:34:15 PDT 2015

Dear TRNSYS community,

My name is Djordje Spasic, I am a project engineer from Serbia, working in a construction industry.
Up until now I have been using NREL's SAM software to analyse the Solar Hot Water heating.
The problem SAM software have had is that it always calculated the pump hourly consumption (in Watts) as:

pump power x pump efficiency

So the pump hourly consumption was always either "pump power x pump efficiency" or zero. No in between values.
This resulted in a bit higher annual consumption values than what I was expected them to be.

I have been told, that in contrast to SAM, TRNSYS has a much more sophisticated formula for calculation of the hourly pump consumption.

Before getting deeper into TRNSYS and its license types, I was wondering if somebody would explain to me how does TRNSYS calculate the hourly pump consumption?

Thank you for the reply.

Kind regards,
Djordje Spasic

project engineer at s.g.r. Mitke1730 Surdulica, Serbiatel: +381 63 88 65 500email: djordjedspasic at gmail.com