[TRNSYS-users] Best Controller for Controlling Slab Surface Temperature?

Ben Heymer bheymer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 06:23:00 PDT 2015

Brad,

First make sure that the timestep you are using is small enough. You could
start with 1/120 hours, then increase while checking that the system
dynamics still make sense.

I recommend starting with a simple proportional controller (Type 1669 or
similar) which will simulate quickly and is quite typical for real-world
control of radiant slabs. If that doesn't track closely enough, you can try
the iterative controller (Type 22) which I find to be a good proxy for real
PID controllers (though it will slow down the simulation). There is a PID
controller in TRNSYS (Type 23) but that requires the simulation time step
to be similar to the real-world controller time step. This is not often the
case for HVAC simulations.

Ben Heymer, PE