[Virtual-sim] ASHRAE (NFRC) U-Values vs CIBSE U-Values for GLAZING

Nikki Gibson nikki.gibson at arup.com
Mon Aug 3 14:52:19 PDT 2009

Hello,

I've been modeling in IES and it was brought to my attention that
CIBSE/EN-ISO/ASHRAE have different testing standards for determining
U-values and SHGC (or shading coefficient or g-value).

IES provides the derived parameters of "CIBSE U-values" or "EN-ISO
U-values" and their respective g-values.

Living in the US and building in the US, I am particularly interested in
what those numbers mean to me.  Namely, what is the difference between
CIBSE and ASHRAE u-values and shading coefficients?  Is it just that the
boundary conditions upon initial testing is different?  Are they exactly
the same but with different metrics?  How have you accounted for this
difference?

Please, any advice would be much much appreciated.