[Virtual-sim] [Bldg-sim] IES-VE Energy

Paul Carey paul at zed-uk.com
Thu Feb 26 09:05:06 PST 2009

Karen and all,

I'm confused here....how can a program that takes up to 3 hours to rename
the zones but then takes minutes to get results, be better than something
that takes a few minutes to rename, but then takes a couple of hours to run?
They are about the same surely?  The only advantage I can see is that
further iteration might be quicker in the former assuming your geometry
doesn't change.

I have been using various modelling tools such as IES VE, TAS and
DesignBuilder as well as a few other tools when necessary (Fluent & CHAM CFD
etc) since the late 90s.   IES is good, it's quick to produce models and
excellent for dynamic natural ventilation design.  TAS is better at the HVAC
and natural ventilation design aspects than IES and I think it's more
accurate, but it's front end still lacks some of the functionality of other
tools.  Hopefully that is being addressed by their links with Bentley.  My
colleague, Chris Yates (also on this list) has become a bit of a wiz with
the sketchup plug in for IES and this appears to be much better than relying
on the gbxml output of revit.

DesignBuilder is the tool that I use most now in both SBEM (UK regulations
format) and EnergyPlus for dynamic modelling.  It takes a lot of the best
features of both IES and TAS and then adds some other nice touches in terms
of data application to speed up the process of setting up your models.  The
only sticking point with it is that EnergyPlus is painfully slow.  The main
thing I'd like is for that to be changed and improved.  Carrying out
simulations with all the lighting controls and calculated natural
ventilation turned on for buildings with over 100 zones is nigh on
impossible as I don't fancy leaving it running for a week or two.  I have to
carry out major sub-division of models or calculate individual zones then
schedule up the vent based on those results or just go with scheduled vent.
Thankfully the reporting methodology from DesignBuilder is pretty good,
though I have to admit I quite like some of the report wizard output by
equest.

The main advantage of the commercial tools as opposed to the free tools such
as DOE and equest, is that they use an interactive 3d model to input the
building and that you can interrogate much more easily for post-processing.
This means you gain an understanding of the building form much more easily
and many link with other tools for further analysis.  I like some of what
equest has to offer, but I much prefer the interactive model building tools
that IES, TAS and DeisgnBuilder offer.  They just make it...easier...and
generally quicker and more efficient when you consider the other studies
that you can do (e.g daylighting, CFD, etc).

In terms of asking for changes -  having worked for IES (and with many other
developers), the stock answer even to their own team was...yes it's on the
list.   My guess is that will still be the same.

Regards

Paul

Dr Paul Carey

Director

Low Carbon Energy Assessor

Zero Energy Design Ltd

10A Portland Place

2-22 Mottram Road

Stalybridge

SK15 3AD

T:  0161 3386200

F:  0161 3031281

M: 0789 4098012

E:  paul at zed-uk.com

W:  www.zed-uk.com

Certificate No: GB16647

Certificate No: GB16646

Please carefully consider the environment before you print this email.

Company Registered in England & Wales.  Registration No. 5815068

Registered Address: 10A Portland Place, 2-22 Mottram Road, Stalybridge, SK15
3AD, UK.

Privilege and Confidentiality Notice:

This email and any attachments to it are intended only for the party to whom
they are addressed.  They may contain privileged and/or confidential
information.  If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and delete any digital copies and destroy any paper
copies.  Thank you.