[Virtual-sim] [Ibpsausa] Request for Proposals - HVAC Simulation Course Development

Michael Wetter MWetter at lbl.gov
Fri Mar 12 10:26:36 PST 2010

*** Please excuse the cross-posting ***

In response to the Requests for Proposals for development of an HVAC and a lighting energy modeling course that were announced on these mailing lists, IBPSA-USA received two questions. Please find below the questions and the response from IBPSA-USA.

Further information regarding the Requests for Proposals can be found at http://www.ibpsa.us/

Best regards,

Michael Wetter
IBPSA-USA Vice President

Question: Can you clarify how to interpret the reference to a tool to be available at no cost or low cost?
In the section titled: General Approach of the Workshop, the RFP states:
"The workshop is to demonstrate how to develop and apply building energy models to several examples of new and existing building situations (e.g., office, retail, hotel, warehouse) using one or more energy simulation tools that meet the modeling tool requirements of ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2007 Appendix G and are available to general users at no cost or low cost."

Answer: The reference to energy simulation tools available to general users at no cost or low cost refers to the example case studies to be used in the workshop.  The material covered in the workshop should be general enough to be of benefit to users of any energy simulation tool and not one specific tool.  The majority of case study I/O example files delivered to IBPSA-USA as part of the training material should come from tools available at low or no-cost. However, the inclusion of examples from multiple tools is encouraged. Examples from higher cost tools are not prohibited.

Question: For the Intellectual Property Rights do you have any idea on the royalty fee charged might be?
In the section titled: Intellectual Property Rights, the RFP states:
"IBPSA-USA will reserve the right to charge a royalty fee to individuals or organizations that use the product of this work as part of income-producing documents, live workshops, or online workshops."

Answer: IBPSA-USA intends for this information to be disseminated as widely as possible to aid the building simulation community, but also wishes to recuperate the expenses of developing the course materials with reasonable royalty fees from organizations that use the material in an income-producing manner. Having not done this before, IBPSA-USA does not yet know what these royalty terms may be.  In the past, for courses offered at SimBuild conferences, IBPSA-USA has charged a fee of 10% of the course fee as a payment. It expects to follow a similar model with the workshop material to be developed from the proposed work, but royalties will be decided on a case by case basis.  If the bidder has a definite royalty requirement for using the material in an income-producing manner, these should be included in their proposal.