[Bldg-rate] [Bldg-sim] District Thermal System

Paul Riemer Paul.Riemer at dunhameng.com
Tue Sep 9 13:14:38 PDT 2008

Eric, David & Karen,
Thank you so much for discussing this document!  It needs it.
I agree Karen & David through step 1.
But as I read Step 2, the proposed model must include analysis of the DES plant in such a way as to show the conversion from loads at the building to corresponding fuel consumption at the DES plant to corresponding dollars.  If you could stop at the dollars per load charged to the building, why did the anonymous authors provide default efficiencies and losses on page 8.

That is not to say that I agree with how the document is written.  I still have the following issues:
- does the document imply all baseline DES cooling systems are electric?
- does the document imply all baseline DES heating systems are natural gas?
- whose rates are applied to the DES energy consumption? The building's or the DES's?

The document anticipates refinement and invites correspondence to leedinfo at usgbc.org.

Has anyone submitted a Step 2 model to the USBGC and received feedback or approval?  If so, please share.

Paul Riemer