[BLDG-SIM] DOE-2

Michael Andelman andelman at jrma-ae.com
Mon Jul 5 09:49:27 PDT 1999

I agree with Dave Walker, the programs with GUI's are useful tools - like any tool they can be misused, but so can the
text-based DOE2 programs.  It's easy for a beginner to rely on defaults no matter what the program is.  A GUI based
program, such as PowerDOE can assist in making sure the geometry is correct (a major stumbling block to new users), and
the on-line help is easier than sifting through the manuals.  The one thing I like about PowerDOE is that it is fully
functional (all the DOE2.2 commands are available)- not all GUI based DOE2 programs are fully functional.  The
spreadsheet feature of PowerDOE is also an excellent way of checking through input data.  The other important feature
of PowerDOE is that it creates a BDL input file that is transpotrable - it can be modified outside PowerDOE (using a
text editor) and later modified using PowerDOE.

I've been using DOE2 since it started out as CAL-ERDA, and even though I have no problem with the BDL input language, I
find I'm using PowerDOE exclusively.

Over the years, I've found new users creating poor models because they did not spend the time to understand the input
and default values, they messed up on the geometry, and - most important - they did not understand the mechanical
systems they were trying to model.

Mike Andelman