[BLDG-SIM] A suggestion and Peak kW: my title, etc.

BKoran at aol.com BKoran at aol.com
Thu Jun 3 10:12:19 PDT 1999

I posted the question regarding a statistical estimate of peak kW.  I'll
reply to some of the responses, but first, in response to the suggestion for
info about posters:

Name:  Bill Koran (William E. Koran, PE if you want formalities)
Company: Honeywell Inc.
Title:  Performance Contracting Engineer
Work:  Mix of pre-retrofit energy analysis, post-retrofit M&V, and
commissioning existing systems.
Time with Honeywell:  5 years
Prior Company: Portland Energy Conservation Inc.
Time with PECI: 5 years
Work:  Research-level DOE-2 modeling for BPA demonstration project, plus a
little commissioning.  (I presented several papers on DOE-2 calibration and 1
on building commissioning during my time with PECI-- at ASHRAE, BTECC, ACEEE,
and NCBC.)
Prior Company:  Allied Signal Aerospace Company (AiResearch Mfg. Co.)
Time with AiResearch:  12 years
Work: Sizing and estimating the energy use of aircraft and spacecraft
environmental control (HVAC) systems.

Regarding the post about peak kW estimates:  I am already estimating the kW
of an individual unit based upon weather, schedules, etc.  The challenge is,
for cycling or unloading equipment, to estimate a monthly aggregated peak kW
for a number of units.  I believe this is a statistical problem, but
regardless, my curiosity is how other people and software estimate this kW.
It clearly can be a significant component of energy cost, and I'm still
unclear as to whether it is well estimated, even for an average cost over a
several year time period.

I am enjoying the responses, though.

Bill