[BLDG-SIM] Software End User Intro

Tom Anderson hvac at together.net
Tue Mar 9 14:51:53 PST 1999

A brief introduction of myself to others on this new list.

As an HVAC designer, with about 20 years experience in the consulting
engineering field, my primary scope of work is HVAC system design and
energy analysis of commercial and institutional facilities, with a
health care facilities and labs my area of strength. Also specify
automated controls for HVAC DDC systems employing hi-performance
sequences of operation, as preached by Thos. Hartman and others.

I operate a home office in the Burlington, Vermont area.  Not far from
the edge of the earth.  Guess you could call me a front line HVAC
designer.

The Carrier Hourly Analysis Program (HAP) program is the software system
I use for heavy duty simulation, having used the Carrier software since
1985.  My selection of Carrier software is based on knowledge and
experience with the software, not based on an analysis of other
competitive systems out in the market.  A desire to avoid a steep
leaning curve is my primary basis of selection, as well as positive
experiences and results in the past.  My knowledge of HAP is fairly
strong.

My new Windows version of HAP recently arrived, though it remains
uninstalled to date.

However, I increasingly find the HAP clunky for small analysis and find
myself  utilizing simple spreadsheets a lot more these days.

I look forward to the discussions in this list.

Tom Anderson
South Burlington, Vermont, US