[BLDG-SIM] sunlight modeling

Tom Dine tom at chassaylast.co.uk
Thu Aug 17 09:32:57 PDT 2000

hi

I am looking for some advice.  I am a mere architect, so I have lurked for some time with limited understanding of messages on this list.

I seldom get projects complex enough to require (or finance) proper simulation,  but I often think that my planning for sunlight & daylight should be based on more than intuition.

Can anyone recommend information or software to help me?   I have invested in the "Planning for Sunlight & Daylight" publication by the Building Research Establishment here in the UK, with its charming transparent protractors, but I would like an easier way of tracking shadow and predicting internal lighting (roughly).

I guess it is the complexity of the building shapes which is the problem.  I model projects in Vectorworks (CAD package), and being a designer I use a Mac of course.  My work is all near here in London.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Regards,

Tom Dine

Chassay+Last Architects