[Bldg-sim] Apartment/hotel DOE-2.1E systems.

Varkie Thomas Varkie.Thomas at som.com
Wed Aug 28 06:41:40 PDT 2002

Thanks for your helpful response..

At the moment we analyze buildings during the schematic phase of the
project to compare envelope, systems & plant alternatives.  So we don't
go into the details that you describe but we might have to in the future
to show compliance with energy conservation codes before submitting
construction documents.  We model hotels the way architects design it
during the schematic phase with modifications to eliminate the details
but keeping the design intent intact.  This means the different space
types (meeting rooms, gymnasiums, indoor swimming pools, laudry,
restaurants, lobbies, etc.) and area configurations requiring different
design criteria and systems requirements are maintained.  There is no
problem using DOE2.1E for hotels since the rooms are served by FCUs  or
induction units with heating and cooling coils.  In the case of FCUs the
outdoor air is supplied to the corridor and transferred to the room.
There is only one exhaust system in a hotel for the bathroom which can
be modelled in DOE2.1E.  So DOE2.1E can handle hotels.  In the case of
high rise apartment buildings there can be 3 exhaust systems (bathroom,
kitchen & dryer) with different air quantities and operating schedules.
At the moment we have to treat the exhaust systems as one system and use
the weighted average values of the operating profile fractions.

We also have a solution for dealing with the other issues that I raised.
They were (1) varying the outdoor air based on occupancy (using CO2
sensors) independently of the supply air in a VAV system and (2)
under-floor air distribution versus ceiling air distribution.  I was
interested in finding out how others handled these situations.  DOE2.1E
also does not allow duplicate systems using the LIKE/EXCEPT keywords.
This is awkward when dealing with floor by floor airhanding units in a
high-rise buildings with two or more units per floor and served by one
or more separate outdoor air handling units

Thanks again for your response.

Varkie