[Bldg-sim] 3D Modeling / Energy Analysis Compatibility

John Kennedy jfk at geopraxis.com
Fri Sep 6 12:00:51 PDT 2002

Warren,

GeoPraxis recently completed our California Energy Commission (CEC) funded
R&D project to develop a Conceptual Design Energy Analysis Tool (CDEAT)
that links energy analysis capabilities to architectural 3D-CAD
applications. Our brochure on the project can be found at
http://www.greenbuildingstudio.com/cdeat_trifold.pdf, and the final report
for it can be found at http://www.energy.ca.gov/pier/buildings/reports.html

The tool is currently at the beta stage of development, but the CEC, the
leading CAD vendors, and nearly all of the architectural CAD users we have
spoken with are very excited about the technology. This tool is enabled
through our Green Building Studio web site as a web service and uses gbXML
(www.gbxml.org) and SOAP to allow any gbXML-compliant 3D-CAD application to
request energy simulation results.

An exciting feature is that the resulting files produced can be read into
DOE-2.2/eQuest as well as Trane's TRACE 700 application for more detailed
analyses.   We have also tested the application with an early beta version
of the Department of Energy's new EnergyPlus simulation engine.   Over the
next year we plan on conducting a public beta test with several market
leading 3D-CAD applications. Keep an eye on www.greenbuildingstudio.com for
the beta test announcement if you want to participate.

Sincerely,
John F. Kennedy
CTO