[BLDG-SIM] Modeling DX with reheat in VisualDOE/DOE-2

John M. Topmiller jmt at abacus-engr.com
Mon Apr 7 05:42:10 PDT 2003

I have a fairly simple system in a building that I am modeling but I'm
not sure the best DOE-2 system to use.  The building is served by one
air handler in the middle of the building with DX cooling and no heating
at the unit level.  Each of the two sides of the building has electric
resistance reheats in the ducts; I'd figure I'd model the building with
two zones each with 50 kW reheat.  I considered modeling the system as
Packaged Single Zone AC with Heating and Subzone Reheating, however,
with this system the heating in the control zone comes from the air
handler and only the subzones have reheat capabilities.  With this
system I'd have to set up a dummy control zone to truly model the
building.  The system also is close to the Constant-Volume Reheat Fan
System in the DOE-2 manual, but I have DX cooling and not a chiller and
cooling coil system.  With this system I'd have to convert the cooling
loads of the chiller to that of a DX system.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of system and know the
best way to proceed?

Thanks,

John M. Topmiller, CEM
Energy Engineer