[BLDG-SIM] Furniture Surface Area

idoebber idoebber at vt.edu
Fri Aug 29 09:03:36 PDT 2003

I am running a standard 3 bedroom ranch style house in Energy Plus and am
having problems determining the amount of surface area exposed to the zone.  I
designed a total furniture weight of 5 lb/ft2 and with a density of 7 lb/ft3
and specific heat and conducitivity values from spruce/pine/fir wood which I
assumed the furniture was mostly composed of.  I need to specify how much area
of that weight is exposed to the zone.  Can anyone tell me a rough estimate or
point me in the direction of some journals that have basic specifications
about furniture in residences.

Thanks
Ian