[BLDG-SIM] Boiler Performance Curves

Wade McLaughlin wmclaughlin at dmiinc.com
Wed Feb 12 11:04:54 PST 2003

Hello All,

As part of a comprehensive energy study for a new elementary school, we are analyzing fuel savings opportunities for a proposed boiler with fully modulating burners as compared to a base-case sectional lo-hi-lo boiler.  So far, we have found that, all things being equal, there are no significant savings associated with such a measure (at least not for the boiler size and models we've been considering).

We use PowerDOE for most of our energy simulations.  In the course of this study, we have come to question the default boiler part-load heat-input-ratio curve (HW-Blr-HIR-fPLR) found in Bdllib.dat.  Until now, we have applied this curve to most base-case boiler calculations (perhaps mistakenly?).  Does anyone know of the origins of this curve or what it would have been based upon?  Most manufacturers we have spoken with state that peak boiler efficiency occurs between 25% and 50% load.  Using the default curve, peak performance occurs at full load and efficiency decreases by nearly 10% at half load.

Also, if this curve is in error, can anyone suggest a method for developing a more reasonable curve estimate?

Thanks,
Wade

Wade McLaughlin
DMI