[BLDG-SIM] Determining extreme hot weather.

Drury.Crawley at EE.DOE.GOV Drury.Crawley at EE.DOE.GOV
Mon Jan 6 08:46:10 PST 2003

The EnergyPlus weather data converter calculates a number of
typical and extreme periods for winter and summer seasons and
a few others.  Here's a portion of the 'STAT' report that is produced,
this one for the CWEC file for Ottawa:

- Climate type "Dfb" (Köppen classification)
 - Moist continental (warm summer, cold winter, no dry season, lat.
30-60°N)

 - Typical/Extreme Period Determination
 - Summer is Jun:Aug
     Extreme Summer Week (nearest maximum temperature for summer)
     Extreme Hot Week Period selected: Jul 13:Jul 19, Maximum Temp=
33.00°C, Deviation=| 9.623|°C
     Typical Summer Week (nearest average temperature for summer)
     Typical Week Period selected: Jun 29:Jul  5, Average Temp=  19.23°C,
Deviation=| 0.130|°C
 - Winter is Dec:Feb
     Extreme Winter Week (nearest minimum temperature for winter)
     Extreme Cold Week Period selected: Jan 27:Feb  2, Minimum Temp=
-25.00°C, Deviation=| 8.296|°C
     Typical Winter Week (nearest average temperature for winter)
     Typical Week Period selected: Jan 20:Jan 26, Average Temp=  -9.41°C,
Deviation=| 0.412|°C
 - Autumn is Sep:Nov
     Typical Autumn Week (nearest average temperature for autumn)
     Typical Week Period selected: Oct 13:Oct 19, Average Temp=   7.60°C,
Deviation=| 0.222|°C
 - Spring is Mar:May
     Typical Spring Week (nearest average temperature for spring)
     Typical Week Period selected: Apr 19:Apr 25, Average Temp=   5.22°C,
Deviation=| 0.521|°C

(The EnergyPlus weather converter is available as part of the
EnergyPlus install, available from www.energyplus.gov)

                      "Lopez, Phylroy"
                      <PLopez at NRCan.gc.        To:       BLDG-SIM at GARD.COM
                      ca>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [BLDG-SIM] Determining extreme hot weather.
                      postman at gard.com

                      01/03/2003 11:49
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      PLopez

Hello Group...

I'm in the process of putting together a thermal active cooling simulation
model to be used in residential buildings. I need to run it against extreme
hot weather data. the problem is this.

*-I have weather data spanning 10 years for a given location.

*-I need to determine the hottest month or week that will produce the
largest cooling load.

What criteria should I look for as the load is based not only on dry bulb
temp but also humidity and solar.

Is there any sort of CoolingLoad factor algorithm that takes all of these
into account when sizing cooling systems? Is there a common weighting
factor
used?

CoolingLoadFactor(SolarGains, DryBulbTemp, Humidity,... ?) = ?

I''l need a criteria to create a program to parse the weather data
to get my extreme week/month.

Thanks for your help

Phyl