[BLDG-SIM] Validation of simulation predictions

Edward F. Sowell sowell at fullerton.edu
Thu Jun 26 19:38:39 PDT 2003

Validation of simulation predictionsPeter,

One study that comes to mind quickly is a comparison of results from the
"solar test cells" at Poway, CA
with DOE-2, perhaps in the early 80s. Fred Winkelmann at LBNL can perhaps
provide specifics. These
tests were under controlled circumstances rather than actual building. But,
IMHO, comparisons
with field data from occupied buildings will have so many uncontrolled and
confounding factors as to
be meaningless.

Ed Sowell

   Can anyone point me to papers that discuss the validation of whole
building energy models (DOE2 or others) with measured building data? I am
looking for papers discussing the accuracy that can be achieved for both
simulations based on comprehensive energy audits of existing buildings and
simulations based on design documents that are then compared to measured
performance of the building after occupation.