[bldg-sim] Cooling loads with Refrigerated display cases

Andrew Morrison andrewm at canetaenergy.com
Mon Nov 3 15:26:16 PST 2003

I’m trying to reconcile cooling loads of a PSZ system with refrigerant
display cases in the zone.

My problem is I can take the space loads (wall conduct, solar gains,
infiltration, etc.) from hourly loads reports, the net display case
cooling loads (negative load on zone) from the hourly systems report and
calculate the hourly outside air cooling loads based on the hourly flow
rates reported in hourly systems report. If I then compare these values
to the cooling loads (taken from hourly systems output) I get nowhere
near the same results. The systems output values are ~ x5 larger.

I know this over-simplifies how DOE handles cooling loads, but you would
expect the results to be comparable. Are display case zone loads
(REFG-ZONE-LOADS) totally applied to the zone, or is it only a fraction?

Any help to get me going in the correct direction would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.

Andrew Morrison
Caneta Energy