[BLDG-SIM] cad/modeling interface

Vladimir Bazjanac vlado at gundog.lbl.gov
Wed Oct 15 23:04:33 PDT 2003

Alec,

If you are using EnergyPlus, you can create a 3D building model in
ArchiCAD and save it in IFC2x format.  Then you can import the IFC file
into EnergyPlus via the BS Pro server and client (both bundled with
EnergyPlus) and automatically create IDF for building geometry.  Once
you have the building model in  ArchiCAD, the whole process takes only a
few minutes, depending on the size and complexity of the building.

If the building model was created in ADT 2004, you can get an IFC2x
interface for ADT 2004 (it is not bundled with EnergyPlus) and create an
IFC file that way.  Building models created with ADT 3.3 may or may not
result in valid IFC2x files.

If the source of building geometry is in 2D *.dwg or *.dxf files, you
can create 3D building models from them by using Graphisoft's Plan2Model
software; the resulting 3D building model will be an ArchiCAD model.
That is a lot easier and faster than generating a 3D model by hand.

If you have a building that has *only* rectangular walls and can be
properly extruded vertically from floor plans into 2.5D, you can use
Visio 2002 Professional to create a quasi-3D building model from 2D
floor plans and save it in IFC 2.0 format.  That file can then be read
by BS Pro server and client, etc.

If the building model was created with SketchUp, you can get the
interface with which you can import the model into ArchiCAD, save it as
an IFC file, run BS Pro server and client, and generate the geometry in
IDF format.

Using *any* of these scripts will save you a lot of time and grief in
generating building geometry input for EnergyPlus runs.  ArchiCAD 7 will
save you even more time: It has a tool that allows you to group
architectural spaces into thermal zones by simply dragging and dropping
space names into zones you create in the object tree - there is no need
to redraw anything.  That feature is not working properly in the latest
version of ArchiCAD (8.3) yet, but is expected to work shortly.

A 3D building model, based on the IFC data model, provides you also with
opportunities to exchange data other than building geometry data with
many other apps.  This includes the exchange of HVAC definitions
(equipment, components, systems), definitions of ducts and pipes,
electrical definitions (equipment, components and systems), detailed
cost data for estimates on the fly, structural definitions, data on
building use (facilities management) and operation, and more.

-- Vladimir

Dr. Vladimir Bazjanac
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory