[bldg-sim] Slab on grade f-factor

Joe Huang YJHuang at lbl.gov
Mon Sep 15 11:23:34 PDT 2003

Calvin,

This response is a little late, but hope it might still be of use to you.
"DOE-2 modeling tips" available on line at the LBNL Simulation Research
Group web site (http://gundog.lbl.gov) has a section on modeling underground
surfaces in DOE-2 (pp. 4-14), with several tables of recommended Perimeter
Conduction Factors (Btu/hr-F-ft of perimeter) for 88 different types of
foundations. These are based on analysis of 2-D heat transfer simulation
results I did with Lester Shen back in 1988.  Since the thermal properties
of concrete are similar to that of soil, the difference between 4" and 6"
slab is insignificant. The biggest factors are: (1) the height of the slab
above the soil, (2) the perimeter insulation thickness and depth, (3) the
existence of carpet over the slab, and (4) the assumed properties of the
soil.  What we modeled was a 6" edge, with and without carpet, and wet soil
with a conductivity of 1 Btu/ft2-hr-F.

Joe