[BLDG-SIM] Radiant Heating/Cooling

Stirling Walkes Swalkes at smseng.com
Mon Apr 19 05:26:39 PDT 2004

With respect to the radiant thermostats, I had been researching their use and found that the Wirsbo radiant flooring people had developed one for Europe but had no plans to market the device in North America.  Schwank builds gas fired radiant heaters and has a black-body thermostat that measures the radiant component in addition to air temperature.  Other than that I have only found that most people control their systems with a slab temperature sensor in combination with a regular thermostat. (I have one design where I also monitor the humidity level in the space to reset the slab for cooling to avoid condensation).

V. Stirling Walkes, P.Eng., LEED AP
SMS Engineering Ltd.
770 Bradford Street
Winnipeg MB R3H 0N3 Canada
phone: 204.775.0291
fax: 204.772.2153
Swalkes at smseng.com

>>> stvgates at pacbell.net 04/14/04 11:09PM >>>
I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed information to this
discussion.  It has been very informative for me.  I would like to revisit
one concept to give my thoughts and maybe get some more feedback, and then
I'll give it a rest.

One of the main claims to energy efficiency of a radiant system is the idea
that the thermostat can be set lower than for a forced-air system.  Yet
several people have disagreed with this claim, or said that the reduction is
typically only a couple of degrees.  Some people have also said that the
"two position" thermostat scenario that I described is not correct; that the
actual dynamics of a radiant system are different than what I assumed.

The thermostats I have observed in radiant systems are all simple
two-position thermostats with about 2F hysteresis; they are either "on" or
"off".  Some of these thermostats do not even have a labeled temperature
setpoint, they simply have a band with one end labeled 'colder' and the
other 'warmer'.  So let's look at the following scenario:

1.  The thermostat is set to 67F.  It turns on at 66F and off at 68F.
2.  The weather is mild, the house is floating in the low '70s, and the
thermostat is off.
3.  The weather starts to cool down, and the house temperature starts to
drop.
4.  The house gradually cools to 67F, and reaches equilibrium at that
temperature.  The thermostat never kicks on, because the temperature would
need to drop another degree.
5.  The occupants perceive the house to be cold, and raise the thermostat
setting.  They remember that the original setting felt too cold, so they
never set it back to 67F again.
6.  The thermostat is now set at the same setting as it would be for a
forced-air furnace, and all energy savings that could accrue by having it
lower are never realized.
7.  If they did set the thermostat lower once the weather got colder and the
radiant system was cycling and warming the surfaces, they would run into the
same problem once the weather warmed up for a period.  As soon as the
thermostat climbs above 68F and stays there for a while, the system stays
off, the surfaces cool, and once the space drops to 67F the occupants are
uncomfortable.

Theory predicts that people should be comfortable with a lower thermostat
setting, but field studies find otherwise.  Perhaps the above scenario is
why.

All of the thermostats I have ever seen have a cover that shields the sensor
from radiation; the sensor sees mainly the air temperature.  Are there any
thermostats specifically designed for radiant systems that sense mean
radiant temperature?  If so, how common are they?