[bldg-sim] VAV vs. Constant volume cooling energy

Mike Roberts mroberts20 at kc.rr.com
Mon Apr 12 21:12:07 PDT 2004

Anna,

In your experiment, did you use 5 PSZ systems (one for each zone)?  If not,
one zone will be the thermostat zone and control the supply air temperature.
You will probably have temperature control problems in the other zones.

If you are not already looking at it, take a look at the PS-E report in the
.sim output file. This report breaks down the total building energy into
several components including lighting, heating, cooling, fans, etc.  I like
to pull that report into an Excel spreadsheet and create a stacked bar graph
to show the monthly energy consumption.  eQUEST can do the same thing with
the Single Run Report, Monthly Energy Consumption.  Seeing how much energy
you are using for cooling, fans, lights, etc. can be very helpful.

Of course many of the components of the simulation model will affect energy
use in other components.  For example, the default static pressure for a VAV
system is higher than for a PSZ system.  That higher static translates to
fan heat and thus more cooling.

I am not real sure what you are looking for, but, in general, I would expect
economizers to save energy for either system.  I would expect a VAV system
to use less fan energy, even with the higher static, because it does not
have to move as much air in total.

The control sequence for a VAV system will be as follows:
1.  The supply air temperature comes first.  It will be fixed, reset by OA
temperature, scheduled by you, or set to meet the requirements of the
warmest zone.
2.  The economizer will mix outside air and return air if OA temperature is
below a maximum (around 65 degrees).  It will try to bring the mixed air
temperature to the supply air temperature.
3.  If the supply air temperature is not as cool as required by step 1., the
cooling coils will bring the temperature down to that temperature.
4.  The VAV box at the zone will throttle the air between 100% flow and a
minimum flow (defaulted or specified by you) to maintain proper space
temperature.
5.  If the minimum flow will overcool the space, reheat kicks in to bring up
the supply air temperature to maintain the proper space temperature.

That is the simple VAV.  You can make it more complicated with fan powered
VAV boxes, or a reverse acting thermostat.  Some of these options allow you
to increase air flow above minimum when heating.  That can be helpful in
some situations, such as low minimum flows or climates cold enough to
require heating.

As I said earlier, I am not real sure what you are looking for.  I hope I am
not heading off in the wrong direction.  Let me know if I can be any more
help.

Mike