[bldg-sim] Wanted - International Energy Conservation Code

Larry Degelman larry at taz.tamu.edu
Mon Dec 20 17:02:15 PST 2004

Hello Vikram,

If you don't find a locally convenient source for the IECC 2003, here's
the headquarters address for the publisher (the ICC):

International Code Council, Headquarters
5203 Leesburg Pike, Suite 600
Falls Church, VA 22041
Ph: (703) 931-4533

Closer to you would be the Birmingham District Office at: 1-800-877-2224

To the question of stringency, there is no single answer, nor (in my
opinion) will there ever be.  DOE's PNNL has done some extensive
comparisons between the ASHRAE 90.1-1999 and IECC 2000/2001, and we at
Texas A&M's Energy Systems Lab (ESL) have done comparisons in intricate
detail of the differences in stringency, mostly as they impact climate
regions of Texas.  Also, I believe that all the Technical Committees
within ASHRAE have been asked to address this question of stringency.

What we've discovered is that the lighting power density limits are
similar, though the IECC has many NR (No Requirement) in spaces that
ASHRAE does have requirements, especially in the space-by-space method.
ASHRAE has values specified for 93 space types, while the IECC 2003 only
has 27 plus a category called "other".  In the whole building method
(still in lighting), ASHRAE has 32 building types while IECC has 25 plus
"other".  The IECC limits for lighting power densities have been reduced
from the 2001 version to the 2003 version, but ASHRAE has also reduced
the limits from the 1999 version to the 2001 version of Standard 90.1 by
approximately the same amount.

In regard to envelope U-values, at first sight these appear to be fairly
compatible between ASHRAE and IECC; however, there are more
qualifications in ASHRAE -- like differentiating between semi-heated
spaces, residential vs. non-residential, etc. that you will not find in
the IECC. We found that the IECC is usually more stringent for above
roof insulation, while ASHRAE is more stringent for attic insulation.
ASHRAE has very relaxed stringency for semi-heated spaces.  The IECC
allows its roof U-Factor limits to vary as the window-wall-ratio varies
-- ASHRAE does not.  On fenestration SHGC limits the two standards are
similar, but ASHRAE has NR (no requirement) for semi-heated spaces.
Also, IECC SHGC limits vary with the overhang ratio -- ASHRAE does not.

Mechanical requirements seem the most compatible (though not exact
equals) between the two standards in regard to stringency.  There are
some differences in EER requirements for non-standard chillers.

Finally, as you are probably aware, both standards have a section called
"exceptions" following many of the sub-sections within the respective
standard.  Many of these exceptions are different between the two
standards, so reaching a concluding statement as to which is more
stringent, I believe is a near impossibility.

A&M's ESL issued its comparison of the above (focused on Texas climate
areas) in a report to the Texas Commission on Environment Quality (TCEQ)
in December 2004.  The code comparisons refer to specific portions of
(90.1-1999 vs. 2001), (90.1-1999 vs. IECC 2001), and (90.1-2001 vs. IECC
2003).  Soon, the 2004 report will be available at:
http://eslsb5.tamu.edu.  Dr. Jeff Haberl is responsible for the issuance
of the report and the content of the web site.

Regards,
Larry O. Degelman, P.E.                  larry at taz.tamu.edu
Prof. Emeritus of Architecture    Ph./Fax: 1-979-696-2506
Texas A&M University
2206 Quail Run
College Station, TX 77845