[BLDG-SIM] List of modelable commercial building energy conservation measures

Peter Simmonds peter.simmonds at ibece.net
Tue Dec 14 07:37:42 PST 2004

Jason, your question is sort of loaded as it leans towards the standard
solution of adding variable speed control to everything that moves in
order to reduce energy, which will work but not in all cases. I would
like to see development in modeling hybrid systems; these would be
displacement ventilation together with a radiant system for either
heating or cooling or both. TC6.5 has been pushing this work statement
for more than a year now and there is still a reluctance to pick up on
the potential. Modeling a true displacement ventilation system in DOE-2
would also be advantageous. Another plus would be to look at operating a
space to comfort criteria in accordance with the new ASHRAE standard 55,
2004.

We have been trying to emulate the performance of radiant systems using
DOE-2 (through EnergyPro) for title 24 compliance, our results show that
radiant systems and hybrid systems are performing 30-40% below title 24
requirements even with the moving base case.

I know this reply is slightly 'off beat' to what you were actually
asking but you did ask and I would like to move forward rather keep
re-inventing the wheel.

Peter Simmonds Ph.D.

Associate

IBE Consulting Engineers

14130 Riverside Drive Suite 201

Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

p:   (818) 377-8220

f:    (818) 377-8230

m:  (818) 219-1284

IDEAS FOR THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the