[BLDG-SIM] determining summer vs. winter loads

Aulbach, John JAulbach at semprasolutions.com
Fri Jan 30 11:46:47 PST 2004

If you have a 70C thermostat setpoint, your house must be close to the
Martian lander site (158F). I assume you mean 70F.

You need a load simulation program to simulate the house, or use a Bin
temperature setup to establish heating and cooling loads. Since your house
is running 24/7, the Bin Method is very appropriate, and the 8,760 loading
will break down into all heating or all cooling loads. Assuming 70F is both
the heating and the cooling setpoint, you can determine total hours cooling
and total hours heating LOAD.

Then subtract off the hours your cooling and heating system ran. You will
then have the load hours happening when the HVAC is not running.

There are Bin Method experts out there who can explain it much better. But I
believe this is your gist.