[BLDG-SIM] Day-Lighting and DOE2.1E

Douglas Mahone dmahone at h-m-g.com
Thu Jan 22 18:00:25 PST 2004

Varkie -

You raise an old issue (old, in the sense that when I was on the ECB
subcommittee leading up to the adoption of  90.1-1999 we spent a lot of
time talking about this) - how to ensure that th eintent of the standard
is not defeated by the detailed modeling decisions of the analyst.

California has a long history of providing detailed technical
specifications for modeling software (or a front end thereto) to ensure
that simulations are done correctly for compliance.  Indeed, one can
only use CEC-certified compliance software for that purpose. The user
inputs and the user interface are specified, modeling assumptions are
built into the software, and outputs are standardized.

For 90.1, the committee did not have the resources to develop a
comparably detailed specification.  The effort of the committee was to
clearly state the intention of the standard, and to describe in concise
terms how the proposed and budget designs were to be modeled consistent
with the rest of the standard.  The expectation was that private vendors
would take it from there and generate compliance software that met the
intent of the standard, as well as any locally adopted variations in the
states and jurisdictions that would adopt 90.1.  It was left to the
adopting authorities to certify the software for compliance purposes.
There was even some talk of ASHRAE getting into this business, but no
leadership emerged to capitalize on this opportunity.

So that was the intent for how the problems you raise would be
addressed.  I haven't followed the story very closely since then, but it
is my impression that compliance software has not emerged, and that
there is therefore a lot of opportunity for analysts to game the ECB
method. I hope I'm wrong about this.

Doug.

Douglas Mahone, Principal
Heschong Mahone Group, Inc.