[BLDG-SIM] Calculating EIR from SEER

Bryce Munger bmunger at bhengineers.com
Wed Jul 7 07:56:11 PDT 2004

I am looking fo a method of calculating EIR from SEER when no info is
available from the manufacturer for use in DOE-2's COOLING-EIR.  I found a
method in the "2005 Nonresidential ACM Manual, Express Terms, 15-Day
Language" text (page 2-80) that does this but there appears to be a typo in
the copy I have.

Equation N2-22 is:

EER(67,95) = 10-(11.5-SEER)x0.83 [default for SEER >15]
           = 10                  [default for SEER => 15]

Equation N2-20 is:

EERnf(67,95) = 1.0452xEER(67,85)
              + 0.0115xEER(67,85)^2
              + 0.000251xEER(67,85)^3
              x F(txv) x F(air)

where F(txv) = Refrigerant Charge Factor
             = 0.9 default
             = 0.96 for systems with verified charge

and F(air) = 1 for systems with verified airflow
           = 0.925 for default flow

and EERnf = EER with fan energy removed

Equation N2-19 is:

EIR = 3.413/EERnf(67,95)

Which is what I want to solve for.  My problem is with Equation N2-22.  The
switch conditions (yes, I typed it right) are not independent.  One of them
should be reversed to less than, but which one?  Does anyone have another
proven method of calculating EIR from SEER?

Thanks much,

Bryce K. Munger
Energy Analyst
Balzhiser & Hubbard Engineers