[BLDG-SIM] DOE-2 help ( I KNOW I have seen this before)..

Graham & Megan hamnmegs at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jun 22 05:30:04 PDT 2004

John,
I have tried working around this in a number of ways and on a number of projects over the years.  While every project is unique, the best approximation in my opinion is to use the OA-FROM-SYSTEM command which passes return air (properties only not mass flow) from one system to another.  You assign the make up air system to a dummy zone with no loads and then need to control your supply temperature off a reset schedule.  Two problems / limitations are:
1) if your desired make up air temperature cannot be simplified to an outdoor air reset schedule then inaccuracies arise.  in this case run a couple of tests to bound the uncertainty.
2) if your tempering unit has bypass dampers to dehumidify while keeping dry bulb temperature elevated then this cannot be accurately represented in this case

If you are working in 2.1E and are familiar / adventurous with INPUT-FUNCTIONS then in theory you have ways to get around the problems above, but ...

I understand that Jeff Hirsch and gang may be working on adding in a better representation of minimum outdoor air / fresh air / make-up air systems.
Regards,
Graham