[BLDG-SIM] Certified Energy Engineer or Professional

Chris Halpin chris at celticenergy.com
Mon Jun 14 08:14:20 PDT 2004

I agree with Tom. I am a PE, a Certified Energy Procurement Professional
through the AEE, and a LEED accredited professional by the US Green
Building Council. I have never pursued the CEM because I felt its value
was not very high. As Tom said, there are CEMs out there with very
little knowledge of real world energy efficiency practices.  In my
opinion the PE registration has much greater value, as it requires
rigorous testing and minimum experience criteria to achieve
registration. Although there PEs out there who are not particularly
talented engineers, the credibility of a PE is greater than that of a
CEM in the energy business.

I hope this is helpful. If you are new to the business, I encourage you
to pursue the CEM anyway, as it can not hurt to have it.

Chris

Christopher F. Halpin, P.E., LEED, C.E.P.
President
Celtic Energy, Inc.
202 Lancaster Road
Glastonbury, CT 06033-5100