[BLDG-SIM] coil loads for Water Loop Heat Pump in eQuest

mail at smitagupta.com mail at smitagupta.com
Mon Mar 29 15:44:37 PST 2004

Hi,

I am trying to calculate the coil load for sizing water loop heat pump
system using eQuest. It is a single storey office building 13,500 sq ft.

The problem I run into is that the space heating and cooling loads don't
seem to match the coil loads proportionally.

At the system level the maximum heating coil loads I see in the SS-B
report are abnormally high in January alone compared to Dec and Feb???
causing an abnormal design peak load for heating. The cooling loads
however seem to look more plausible over the space loads calculated in the
LS-A. In modeling this I have used a default Water Loop Heat Pump system
and attached it to a geo thermal exchange water loop. The only thing I
have changed at the zone level is the CFM outside air required per person
(15 CFM/person).

And correct me if I am wrong, but the coil loads should be of the scale
equal to space loads plus the effect of outside air CFM required (1.08 X
CFM X temp differential). I just want to know if that is what the SS-B
report shows. If not, then what is the best place to look for the coil
loads in order to pick a suitable system (water loop heat pump in this
case)?

Thanks,

-Smita
@smitagupta.com