[BLDG-SIM] Natural Ventilation / Fire Separation

stvgates at pacbell.net stvgates at pacbell.net
Wed May 26 11:42:16 PDT 2004

Does the air need to flow through the corridor, or simply across the
corridor from one set of classrooms to classrooms on the other side?  If
across, then the corridor fire enclosure can be the walls on each side and
the corridor ceiling (in other words, the corridor walls do not go floor to
roof; only floor to corridor ceiling).  Air can then flow over the top of
the enclosed corridor from one side of the building to the other.

If the air must flow through the corridor instead of over it, the problem is
much more difficult; if not impossible.  This technically makes the corridor
a duct, and may be subject to duct construction standards.  Also, the intent
of the code is that occupants and the fire department have an escape route
free of fire for one hour; additional restrictions may require that this
escape route be free of smoke for one hour as well.  You don't want to
violate the intent of the code, as public safety takes precedence over
potential energy savings.  (You also don't want to be sued in the event
someone dies in a fire!)  My understanding of the local requirements in my
area is that a fire-rated corridor CANNOT be used as part of an air supply
or air return.

Code requirements can vary from one jurisdiction to the next, and
interpretations of the same code also vary.  You should definitely meet with
the local plan checkers, and/or the local Fire Marshall to determine the
applicable criteria for your building; the earlier in your design the
better.