[BLDG-SIM] Infiltration: Standard versus Proposed Design

K Emerson kemerson2002 at yahoo.com
Wed May 19 13:25:05 PDT 2004

I would agree that infiltration is a guess at best and
go further in saying that it would be relatively easy
to stick a number in a base model that would represent
excessive infiltration in order to get unjustified
credit.

Typical engineering practice these days is to maintain
a slight positive pressure during normal building
operation.  This aids in comfort by eliminating cold
drafts in winter climates and assisting in control of
moisture in wet ones.  Infiltration at worst should
thus only occur during unoccupied periods.  That said,
high-rise buildings often have enough stack effect
that this moderate positive pressure is overwhelmed on
the first floor with people opening doors, etc.

It should be assumed that in new buildings, especially
those being considered for LEED credit, people will be
paying attention to the tightness of the shell during
construction.

Keith Emerson