[bldg-sim] Predictive control of passive cooling systems?

Michaël Kummert mkummert at wisc.edu
Wed May 12 07:48:02 PDT 2004

on 2004-05-12 06:24, Kim B. Wittchen wrote:
> I am conducting a survey on passive cooling strategies, e.g. night
> cooling of the building mass in order to reduce overheating the
> following day.
>
> In this context I would like to know if anyone have knowledge of
> surveys in the field of natural/night cooling where prediction of
> the weather conditions for the coming day have been used to control
> the flow of cool night air into the building?

My PhD thesis (2001) addressed the topic of optimal predictive control
in passive solar buildings. While the main emphasis was on controlling
the heating plant in order to prevent afternoon overheating in
mid-season conditions, the developed controller is suitable to control a
mechanical or natural ventilation system in order to benefit from
"optimal" night cooling. It uses (or generates) weather forecasts for
the next 12 to 36 h. The thesis includes a literature review.

You can download the PDF version if you are interested (1.6MB):
http://sel.me.wisc.edu/facstaff/kummert/kummert-phd-2001.pdf

Kind regards,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert - TRNSYS Coordinator

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert at engr.wisc.edu