[BLDG-SIM] Simulation on Thermal Energy Storage using DOE2.2

Kin Wai Tsang ekwtsang at yahoo.com.hk
Thu Nov 25 22:26:24 PST 2004

Dear Martin,
I think the findings may be correct.
First, for a TES system the leaving chilled water temperature usually will be lower, so the COP will be deduced, but as the outside temperature is lower, it does not deduced alot.
Second, if the TES system using brine water, i think the efficiency will reduce more.
As our experience in some project in Hong Kong and Mainland, TES system can only reduce electricity cost due to tariff rate rather than consumption.
I hope these comment would help.

Regards,
Ernest Tsang
Meinhardt (M&E) Ltd

Martin Yip <yipch at emsd.gov.hk> wrote:

Dear Bldg-sim Subscribers,

I recently simulated an air cooled chiller plant with cold water tank thermal energy storage using DOE 2.2.  I originally expected some energy saving due to improve chiller COP at night charging the storage when compare it with a system without storage.  However, the results showed an energy penalty of a few percentages even though hourly data actually showed COP improvement during charging.  I have already set the loss coefficient to zero for the TES.  I should be most grateful if anyone can comment on this issue and provide some suggestion.

Thanks

Martin YIP

Engineer

EMSD, HKSAR