[BLDG-SIM] Steam-Turbine Drive Centrigugal Liquid Chillers

Varkie Thomas Varkie.Thomas at som.com
Fri Oct 1 07:40:14 PDT 2004

Steve:

I received other responses suggesting the same thing:

1. Use 2 stage absorption chiller with HIR of the turbine

2. Assign PLR curves of centrifugal chiller to corresponding curves of
absorption machine.

I assume this will produce reasonably accurate steam consumption of the
steam-turbine.  I need a sample DOE2 Plant "inp" or "bdl" statements
showing how to do this.  The chillers in question are York model YST.
York will provide the performance data.  The location is NYC and the
utility rates are ConEd Steam Service Classification 2 (lower rates in
summer) and ConEd Electric Service Classification 9 Rate II - General
Large Time of Use

http://q050-www5.coned.com/es/tariffs/ps.asp?URL=tariffs.htm&s=tariffs

Since there are several buildings in NYC that use a hybrid plant of
steam-turbine and electric-motor drive chillers, I assume studies have
already been done justifying this combination.  So far I have found the
ASHRAE Sept 2003 article: Advances in Steam Cooling by Ian Spanswick

I would like to compare the following alternative options: (1) two
2000-ton electric-drive chillers, (2) two 2000-ton steam-drive chillers
and (3) one 2000-ton electric-drive chiller and one 2000-ton steam-drive
chiller sequenced to "start first" based on ConEd year-round steam and
electric rates.  This would be for (A) a building that operates 24 hours
per day such as a hospital, and (B) an office building that operates 7
AM - 6 PM, Mon-Fri.  I would also like to see a life cycle cost analysis
of the alternative options.  Have such studies been done for buildings
located in cities with district steam (NYC, Boston, Philadelphia,
Minneapolis)?

The Trane TRACE700 program (which we also use in this office along with
Carrier's HAP program) models steam-turbine chillers.  However the
building in question has already been modeled in detail with DOE2.1E
using electric chillers.  I prefer to use DOE2.1E directly (we also have
eQUEST and EnergyPro in the office) for LEED certification and to show
Code compliance.  The building description language (bdl) provides
flexibility and it can be read like a specification for others to
review.  Does this program have a future?  How many A-E design firms are
using EnergyPlus on large commercial building projects?

Varkie Thomas