[BLDG-SIM] portugeese weather tapes

Drury.Crawley at EE.DOE.GOV Drury.Crawley at EE.DOE.GOV
Thu Oct 28 07:15:46 PDT 2004

Vitor,

Your comment about wind is very important.  We have seen
similar constructed weather files which have a constant
wind speed and direction.  And outside film coefficients are
very sensitive to this.  These two files (for Lisbon)
do have wind speed and direction which varies throughout
the year.

Dru

                      "Vitor Leal"
                      <vleal at fe.up.pt>         To: BLDG-SIM at gard.com
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      postman at gard.com         Subject:  [BLDG-SIM] portugeese weather tapes

                      10/28/2004 09:25 AM
                      Please respond to
                      vleal

Hi Patricia,

It depends on what kind of climatic data you need. For most purposes the
data generated by programs such as Meteonorm or Climed may be enough.
However, you must be careful if you are using a software that calculates
the external convection coefficient based on wind speed. I once analysed
these files and found that the values for wind are not realistic
(sometimes they are even constant).

There is an official TRY file for Lisbon, with realistic wind data. I
believe that it can be obtained from the Institute of Meteorology
(www.meteo.pt) or from the INETI. For further information I suggest that
you contact Dr. Ricardo Aguiar (ricardo.aguiar at ineti.pt).

Kind regards,
Vitor Leal