[BLDG-SIM] effect of partial shading on PV performance

Griffith, Brent Brent_Griffith at nrel.gov
Mon Oct 4 12:48:07 PDT 2004

Smita,
Your understanding of how EnergyPlus accounts for PV shading seems to be correct.  I would add that for the advanced PV models, cell performance is a function of incident radiation and that it is important to reduce this before applying the model.  With EnergyPlus, you can use single-module arrays and define separate surfaces for each module. This way the shading will be handled separately for each module.  But currently in EnergyPlus, the whole array performance would not be treated any differently than summing up each module's contribution.  You could take the output from each surface/module and reassemble the performance of the array outside of the program.   This is in general a hard thing to model as one would need a large amount of data on exactly how the modules in the array (and cells in the modules) are wired with bypass and blocking diodes.  Nowadays, clever electrical engineering can minimize the degradation effects of shading, so it isn't always the case that entire strings go dead.

Brent Griffith