[BLDG-SIM] effect of partial shading on PV performance

stvgates at pacbell.net stvgates at pacbell.net
Fri Oct 1 19:13:12 PDT 2004

eQUEST calculates the performance of a PV system assuming NO shading on the array.  It also outputs a shading report to give you an idea of how much shading the array receives over the course of the year, so that you can make a judgment regarding the impact of shading on PV performance.  eQUEST does not attempt to assess the impact of shading on PV performance for the reason you describe.

PV degradation due to shading depends not only on how many cells in a series are shaded, but also whether that row of cells is in parallel with other rows, and how much sunlight those rows are receiving, and the characteristics of the inverter.  The interaction is complex and I am not an expert on PV systems; however my understanding is that several unshaded rows of cells can impress enough voltage across the partially-shaded rows to wipe out most of their output.

To simulate this degradation in detail would require defining the spatial geometry of each module in the array relative to the shading surface, the series/parallel relationships of the modules in the array, diodes that allow shaded cells in series to be bypassed, a description of the inverter characteristics, etc.  I am not aware of any programs that model PV systems in this detail, but would be interested in knowing whether any exist.