[bldg-sim] suggestions other than eQuest

Steven Gates steve.gates at doe2.com
Mon Apr 4 15:10:20 PDT 2005

Is there a more fundamental issue that is being missed here?  Lee Elson's
description includes the phrase "insulated rock floor with active air
recirculation".  It also includes "ICF", which I am not familiar with.

The description of the system appears to be a floor/rock-bed that uses a fan
to recirculate air between the rockbed and the space.  So solar falls
directly on the floor surface, but the floor also captures/releases heat
convectively using a fan.

If that is the case, it is critical that the convective leg be simulated.
Assuming the space will not be allowed to be uncomfortably warm, and that
the rockbed temperature must be at least 70F to have any heating
effectiveness at all, this implies a very low delta-T between the rockbed
and the space when convectively charging or discharging the rockbed -
corresponding to a large, potentially drafty, airflow.  It also suggests
that the convective thermal capacity of the rockbed may be quite limited,
corresponding to a temperature swing on the order of 5F or less.

It is essential that the fan energy of this system be modeled; with such a
small delta T between the rockbed and the space, the cost to run the fan may
exceed the cost of the heating energy saved by the convective component of
this system.

It would be helpful if Lee described the system in more detail.
eQUEST/DOE-2 does not simulate either convective rockbeds or the combined
radiant/convective rockbed floor that this building appears to use.  Do any
programs have this capability?