[BLDG-SIM] Garage heating in ASHRAE 90.1 89 or 90.1 99

Jason Glazer jglazer at gard.com
Fri Aug 5 09:10:22 PDT 2005

If you are above 3.4 Btu/h-ft2 then you are probably still
going to be below the semi-heating requirements 15 to 20
Btu/h-ft2 (depending on where in Iowa) from the definition
of "space" in section 3.2. Those have lower insulation
requirements then normal spaces but you still have to meet
the mechanical and lighting requirements (0.3 W/sqft
lighting).

Jason

On 5 Aug 2005 at 8:58, Randy Wilkinson wrote:

> ASHRAE 90.1-1999 2.2, a, 1 says that enclosed spaces with
> heating systems with an output capacity greater than 3.4
> Btu/hr*ft^2 are subject to the standard.  So...enclosed
> spaces having heating systems with capacities below 3.4
> Btu/hr per SF are exempt.  This would probably be a
> partially heated space.
>
> Randy Wilkinson
>
> Vinay Ghatti wrote:
>
> >Hello All,
> >
> >Can anyone let me know if the ASHRAE 90.1 89 or 90.1 99
> >code dis-allow heated garages in commercial buildings (in
> >Iowa)?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Vinay Ghatti
> >(952) 938 1588

Jason Glazer, P.E.  jglazer AT gard DOT com  847 698 5686
GARD Analytics - http://www.gard.com/
1028 Busse Highway, Park Ridge, IL 60068
Building Energy Simulation and Analysis
Admin of BLDG-SIM list for building simulation users