[bldg-sim] Cold climate bldg sim - accounting for frost control in air-to-air heat recovery

Ian Ball iball_bldgsim at yahoo.ca
Tue Dec 20 09:39:54 PST 2005

    Hi everbody,

  I have just joined this support group.  Currently I am working as a Building Energy consultant for a Montreal firm called GES Technologies inc. Having spent a several yrs in designing air-to-air heat recovery systems, I am in the process of developing a comprehensive program to realistically estimate hourly energy savings relating to sensible air-to-air heat recovery (plate hx and heat pipes for now) that require frost control such as face and bypass and preheat coils (electric or glycol).

  I will be comparing my results and methodology with bldg sim programs including E+, EE4, HAP and others.  I trust I am not re-inventing the wheel (thus spinning my wheels) with this project, but thus far I have not come across such a program.

   I would appreciate hearing from anybody that has any experience or insight into this issue.

Ian Ball, M.A.Sc., P.E.
  Senior Project Manager - Energy and Commissioning
  Ges Technologies Inc
  Montreal, Que
  514-257-9389 ext 219