[bldg-sim] Attached buildings in eQUEST

Jeff Haberl jeffhaberl at tees.tamus.edu
Thu Dec 29 07:45:03 PST 2005

FYI.

There have been a few studies in the ASHRAE literature about reducing energy use in grocery stores. Most have focused on the design of the refrigeration systems, with very few discussing the simulation using DOE-2.

If my memory serves me right the refrigeration commands in DOE-2 were added by LBL for a project with Seattle City and Light. I believe there is a paper in the old ACEEE proceedings by Colleen Cleary that details the project. I'm sure there is also an LBL report on this as well. Unfortunately, I think you'll be hard-pressed to simulate a complex, staged system with DOE-2 since this would involve manf curves and a need for site data to verify the conditions, etc. You may find better advice in the Food Marketing Institute publications, and/or material they distribute at their conferences. ARI has tons of material on this.  RMI has also done a bit of looking in this area, which would more than likely mean there is an Esource publication as well.

There is some general design advice for hot humid climates. 1) Seal the building, reduce envelope loads, and use airlock entries to keep the moisture out. Use positive pressure to reduce infiltration. 2) Do your dehumidification with the most efficient system, which would be the A/C system, or dessicant system.  Avoid moisture in your freezer cases by keeping the store dry (less than 50% RH), use cased-in freezers. (I've noticed systems in Florida with AC supply duct pointed right at the Freezer cases to create a pool of dry air at the Freezer door). 3) Use the most efficient refrigeration system avail. 4) Reduce internal loads, use daylighting, etc.

I'm sure there are a few more things I left-out.

Jeff

Jeff S. Haberl, Ph.D., P.E.............................jhaberl at esl.tamu.edu

Department of Architecture.......................Lab Ph: 979-845-6065

Energy Systems Laboratory.......................FAX: 979-862-2457

Texas A&M University..............................77843-3581

College Station, Texas, USA.......................URL: www-esl.tamu.edu

BB 8=/  8=)  :=)  8=)  ;=)  8=)  8=()  8=) 8=?  8=)  8=)  8= BB