[bldg-sim] Procedure of modeling GSHP in eQUEST and hourly zone/coil loads

Jeff Hirsch Jeff.Hirsch at DOE2.com
Tue Feb 1 15:10:11 PST 2005

[bldg-sim] Ice storage system in eQuestFirst, if you use the wizards, you must change to "detailed edit" mode
to get access to the full interactive DOE-2 program input (BDL) and
then create/delete the needed/unwanted equipment.

Create your building with the wizard using WLHP system,
- switch to detail mode
- In the water-side module,right-click on the root entry of the component tree
  (the project: 'name' item) and create a "ground loop heat exchanger" (be ready to
  supply complete ground well/trench design information) attaching it to the WLHP
  circulation-loop
- delete any dedicated fluid cooler pump - not the WLHP loop - mostly will not exist in
   wizard created projects
- delete the fluid cooler (if it not to run in parallel with the GLHX, see
   DOE-2 manuals for details on this option)
-  delete any dedicated (attached) boiler pump - not the WLHP loop - important
    that you do this so that an "unattached" pump does not remain after you next
    delete the boiler.
-  delete the boiler
- create BOTH heating and cooling design days (this is required for a decent
   GLHX simulation as the design days are used to initialize the ground field
   temperature history - an annual history is needed due to long term ground
   response); do this by right clicking on the project: entry of the component
   tree in the Project & Site module

Next you need to convert the zonal HP units to be "extended range" units that
can tolerate low and high loop temperatures without shutdown due to temperature
limits for compressor protection.  You can do this manually, but we have posted
an "import" file for eQUEST that makes most of the changes for you.

First, extract the following linked file into your eQUEST projects directory.
   http://doe2.com/download/equest/GroundLoopHP_curves.zip
- file/import the extracted file, SKIP the pre-processing step (click 'No")
   to prevent precessing errors by that process (otherwise you import of this
   file may not work correctly)
- save then re-open the project to force all defaults from the import
   process to take effect (this step is temporarily needed prior to an eQUEST
   update scheduled for later this month)
---
Jeff Hirsch
James J. Hirsch & Associates
Building Performance Analysis Software & Consulting
12185 Presilla Road
Camarillo, CA 93012-9243 USA
phone: (805) 553-9000
fax: (805) 532-2401