[bldg-sim] Calculating chiller EIR in eQUEST

Keir Howell keirh at bluestoneenergy.com
Mon Jan 10 09:33:42 PST 2005

The eQUEST documentation states that the chiller electric use is calculated
as follows:

Elec(in) = EIR x EIR f(PLR) x EIR f(t1,t2) x Capacity x Capacity f(t1,t2)

However, I have never been able to recreate the hourly values that I get
from eQUEST.  I created an hourly report that shows Corrected EIR, PLR,
CHWT, ECT, Capacity at Current Conditions, EIR Temp Correction Factor, EIR
PLR Correction Factor and Load.  I can recreate the 2 EIR correction factors
from the curve data, but when I multiply by the design EIR, I do not get the
Corrected EIR. When I multiply either the Corrected EIR or my calculated EIR
by the other variables per the equation above I get a different value for
the Electric input. Also, dividing the Load by the Capacity does not give me
the same PLR. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Keir Howell
Bluestone Energy Services, Inc.