[bldg-sim] Occupancy Sensors

Bill Talbert btalbert at aeieng.com
Fri Jan 21 08:56:43 PST 2005

Does anyone have experience obtaining LEED credit for energy savings due
to occupancy sensors? ASHRAE 90.1-1999 requires automatic lighting
shutoff control (9.2.1.1) and occupancy sensors are one strategy for
meeting this requirement. Addendum e to 90.1-2001 allows power
adjustment percentages for the use of 'automatic lighting controls in
addition to those required  for minimum code compliance.' If occupancy
sensors are used for meeting the automatic shutoff control requirement
with no additional shutoff controls provided, then my interpretation is
that no energy savings credit can be taken. If anyone has a different
interpretation or has had success achieving LEED credits, please let me
know.  I am not aware of the USGBC adopting 90.1-2001 Addendum e yet,
but if there is an opportunity to achieve savings through the use of
occupancy sensors, it could be accomplished through the Exceptional
Calculation Methods outlined in A90.1-1999 (11.5). Any assistance would
be appreciated.
Thanks,

Bill Talbert, LEED AP
Mechanical Engineer