[bldg-sim] Job Opening

Molly Curtz molly at ecotope.com
Tue Jan 18 13:14:35 PST 2005

Dear BLDG-SIMers,

There is currently a job opening at Ecotope, located in Seattle, WA. Someone
with energy simulation skills would be well received. See below for complete
job information.

Best wishes,

Molly Curtz
Ecotope Inc.                   p: (206) 322-3753
4056 9th Avenue NE      f: (206) 325-7270
Seattle, WA  98105        www.ecotope.com

Ecotope Inc. Job Opening - 1/10/05

JOB TITLE: HVAC Engineer/Energy Consultant

JOB TYPE: Full time, salaried position with benefits

LOCATION: Seattle, WA

AVAILABLE: Immediately

CLOSING DATE: February 7, 2005

PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES

The ideal candidate will be prepared to successfully perform all of the
listed job responsibilities. However, Ecotope will consider training
promising candidates that have a strong aptitude and interest in the work.
Duties will include:

  a.. Preparing engineering calculations including heating and cooling load
calculations.
  b.. Developing HVAC and plumbing designs under the supervision of a senior
engineer
  c.. Drafting AutoCAD files of HVAC and Plumbing drawing sets
  d.. Preparing project specifications
  e.. Preparing Energy Code compliance documentation
  f.. Conducting computer simulation of building annual energy performance
  g.. Managing one's own day to day project tasks and managing client
contacts
  h.. Responding to client questions on energy efficiency and Energy Code
requirements
  i.. Assisting in the preparation of fee proposals and marketing materials
  j.. Assisting with technical report writing and research projects

REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS

  a.. Associate or Bachelor's degree in engineering or other technical field
  b.. Strong communication, technical and writing skills
  c.. Proficiency with AutoCAD, MS Excel, MS Word
  d.. Detail oriented personality, ability to organize technical information
  e.. Ability to pay attention to multiple on-going projects, and handle
multiple deadlines.
  f.. Self-starting personality, able to work independently with minimal
supervision
  g.. Able to communicate well with clients, including setting and managing
client expectations.
  h.. Interest in energy efficient building systems and green building
design

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS

  a.. Proficiency with energy simulation programs (such as eQUEST, DOE-2,
Energy Plus, Trace)
  b.. Knowledge of the US Green Building Council's LEED rating system
  c.. LEED A.P. certification
  d.. E.I.T. or P.E. license
  e.. Experience with HVAC and Plumbing design for residential and
commercial buildings
  f.. Professional consulting experience and proven project management
skills
  g.. Knowledge of the Washington State Energy Code and other building codes
  h.. 3+ years professional work experience

COMPANY BACKGROUND

Ecotope is a small consulting and mechanical engineering firm with 30 years
experience in energy efficient and sustainable design for buildings. Ecotope
provides a range of services including technical research on energy use in
buildings, energy policy research and analysis, and engineering design. Our
engineering design group provides full service HVAC and plumbing design, and
consulting on Energy Code compliance and energy efficiency for residential
and commercial buildings.

We take pride in delivering high quality work to our clients, and we are
known for developing appropriate and innovative HVAC solutions that optimize
comfort and energy efficiency within our clients' budget.

In addition to engineering design, we provide consulting on solar energy
utilization, energy efficient envelope detailing, daylighting integration
and other sustainable building design strategies.

Ecotope offers an informal and comfortable work place. We are a small
business with a horizontal management structure that is responsive to
employee needs. We do not request that our employees work overtime on a
regular basis, and we strive to manage our work such that overtime is very
rarely required. We maintain a high standard of quality for our work.
Individual employees are afforded a great deal of independence and
responsibility for their work within our collaborative work environment.

Visit our web site at: www.ecotope.com for additional information on our
company.

SALARY AND BENEFITS

The salary range offered for this position will be in the range of $35,000
to $45,000 D.O.E. Ecotope offers a benefit package including medical, dental
and vision coverage, 401k with matching contribution, annual profit-sharing
bonuses, and three weeks annual paid vacation/sick leave. Flex time may be
negotiated for this position.

If interested, please e-mail a resume and cover letter to Molly Curtz,
molly at ecotope.com , with "HVAC Engineer/Energy Consultant" as the subject
line.