[bldg-sim] Operable Windows

Mickey Bush mbush at dmiinc.com
Tue Jan 18 13:13:10 PST 2005

Greetings,

I am working on an energy study for a building considering installing operable windows in the offices which would be tied into the VAV boxes.  The sequence calls for the office VAV box to fully close when the office window is opened.  We think this a good sequence, but the problem is quantifying the potential savings.

Does anyone know of any studies that deal with office occupant's tendencies toward opening windows? (How often during various outside air conditions windows are left open?)  Any links to published studies or techniques that people have used in the past would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mickey Bush
DMI, Inc.
450 Lexington St. Newton, MA 02466