[BLDG-SIM] Pollution Factors

Peter Alspach Peter.Alspach at keeneng.com
Thu Jul 14 12:47:43 PDT 2005

eGrid is available, from the EPA, and it gives the generation mix and resulting pollutant levels (kg/MWh type #s) for most every power plant, utility, state and region in the US. A very valuable tool for what you are looking for.

http://www.epa.gov/cleanenergy/egrid/index.htm

Cheers,

Pete

Peter Alspach, P.E.
Keen Engineering, Inc.
2742 17th Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
T: 415-626-6864
F: 415-626-1268
peter.alspach at keeneng.comr
>>> John Porterfield <john_m_porterfield at yahoo.com> 07/14/05 12:24 PM >>>

Accounting for local differences in electricity-related pollution would be worthwhile when the source energy "mix" for generation differs from the national average.
I have seen state-by-state information on power generation energy source (coal, hydro, nuclear, etc) at the EPRI or Edison Electric web site several years ago, though I did not access this information before this inquiry. As I recall, fraction of electricity from coal varied from 90% to less than 10%, with comparable variation in fraction provided by hydro.  Metro area fractional breakouts are perhaps more pronounced.
Review of the excellent residential end use information http://enduse.lbl.gov/info/LBNL-40297.pdf and http://buildingsdatabook.eren.doe.gov/ did not yield regional building-related pollution information.
Are data available that offer reasonable guidance to select localized pollution outcomes of electricity consumption in buildings?
Thanks!
John Porterfield
www.energydetectives.com
Chicago, IL